About Me

My photo
This blog chronicles my adventures since my junior year of college to..everywhere. Primarily it consists of life experiences and God stories in Honduras, Costa Rica, and Panama. Enjoy and God bless!

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Dia de Gracias


The school held an amazing Thanksgiving dinner for all the teachers (11/19).

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Here's an excerpt of my daily adventures in learning Spanish:

I'm getting together with a bunch of teachers for a potluck dinner today, and my assignment is to bring cranberry sauce. Yesterday, I went to the store hoping that I'd see a can of it, or at least fresh cranberries to use in a recipe. But, when my friend and I were trying to describe it to the helpful store clerk: "pequena y roja y dura," (small, red, hard), he brought us a bag of grapes, a jar of cherries, and a box of strawberries. We then started picking up things in the store that might help get the point across: a Christmas wreath with berries on it, a bag of trail mix, and finally, a bottle of Cranberry juice. "Arandanos!" The clerk finally understood, and we were so excited, thinking he would point the way to the cranberry section or pull a jar of cranberry sauce (salsa de arandanos) off the shelf. But then, his face fell, as he admitted, "No tenemos arandanos." (We don't have cranberries.) Disappointed, yet grateful, we said, "gracias," and headed to the check-out with the bottle of cranberry juice. Close enough, right?

No comments: