About Me

My photo
This blog chronicles my adventures since my junior year of college to..everywhere. Primarily it consists of life experiences and God stories in Honduras, Costa Rica, and Panama. Enjoy and God bless!

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Spanish Slip ups

Well, I've had three weeks now to get back into the swing of life in Honduras and, as part of a new year's resolution to get the most out of my experience, I've been attempting to speak Spanish every opportunity I get.

Three quick stories:
1. I was playing a card game with a mix of N. Americans and Hondurans, and I leaned over and asked one of the Hondurans how to say "your turn" in Spanish. He replied, "Te toque." I rehearsed the phrase a few times, but when it came time to actually use it, my sounds got mixed up and I ended up saying "Tu taco," which means "your taco." Now, when we play card games, we tease each other by saying "It's your taco."

2. I was trying to practice my Spanish on a weekly student behavior slip; I had wanted to communicate that a student was having trouble focusing in class. So I had written " a veces ella ha hablando y no se foca" (which literally translates to: "sometimes she is speaking and not a seal"). Fortunately, my student corrected me before the nota went home, and the parents and I had a good laugh at parent/teacher conferences over the mistranslation. Next time, I'll use a Spanish dictionary.

3. Last night, my housemates went with a Honduran family to go see "Enredados" (Tangled). They had taken us to the only theater in town that had a showing of it in English, which we found out after we arrived, wasn't playing that night. Even without subtitles, it was an enjoyable movie, and surprisingly, I found myself understanding a lot of it (although it definitely helped to have seen the movie before).
Prior to a fun night of movie watching, we went with the family to cheer on their daughter play with the IST Junior/Senior futbol team at a tournament in town. It was a tied game, but we had fun cheering alongside students, teachers, and a man with a bullhorn. I learned the cheer, "Vamos Inter" (Let's Go Inter.--like international school).

More adventures to come!

No comments: