About Me

My photo
This blog chronicles my adventures since my junior year of college to..everywhere. Primarily it consists of life experiences and God stories in Honduras, Costa Rica, and Panama. Enjoy and God bless!

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Next Steps

I have been meditating on Scripture recently, particularly on Psalm 27:14, which says:
"Wait on the LORD; Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the LORD!"

This has been a resounding theme in my life, especially in the past two years with teaching in Honduras and returning to the States to finish the UCSB Teacher Education program. I have learned that no matter how God directs our steps, even changing the direction we thought we were going, He remains faithful.

Standing overlooking the ocean and reflecting on how God has richly blessed my time in Santa Barbara, I couldn't help but sing praises to Him.
For the incredible people He placed in my life at just the right moment to encourage and challenge me, for the amazing church body to serve alongside, for professors at Westmont College and my mentors at UCSB, for the opportunities to explore God's creation through hiking or walking along the shoreline, I will always be grateful!

In fact, there have been many instances this year where God provided abundantly more than I could ever ask or imagine. Not only in terms of resources and housing, but also the strength and wisdom to face unpredictable situations in the classroom. God deserves all the glory and honor and praise!!

During my time in Santa Barbara, someone at my church told me, "In order for God to lead you, you have to be willing to step."

Here's an update and next "steps" in my life:
*2010-2011 School year--I taught 4th grade at International School Tegucigalpa. Grew as a teacher in a wonderful school community and fell in love with the adventure of teaching internationally.
*2011 Summer--I returned to Santa Barbara to house/dog-sit and finish preparing my Masters of Education thesis. I presented my Masters of Education on July 5th and, with a few minor revisions, passed!!
*2011 Fall--I worked in a Kindergarten classroom as my last University requirement for the Teacher Education Program. I had an amazing team of teachers to work alongside and grew tremendously as a teacher.
*2011 Winter--On December 9th, I was officially "done" with the UC Santa Barbara Teacher Education Program. A few weeks later I received a letter from the state saying that I now have my Preliminary K-8 Multiple Subject California Teaching Credential!
Praise the Lord! It's been a long journey, but it is worth it in the end!

*2012 January-April--
As I have been praying about what to do with my spring semester, I have felt tugged in multiple ways back to Central America. In November, I applied for fall teaching positions in Christian International Schools in Mexico and Panama and also had the privilege of attending an ACSI recruiting fair in Anaheim, CA to interview and learn more about these possibilities.

Having lived in Honduras and having worked this past semester in a school with a high Latino population, my desire to speak Spanish fluently has increased. I took Spanish for 2 years in high school (way back when!) and learned a lot while teaching in Honduras, yet still can only carry on a basic conversation. If God continues to lead me towards Central American countries, I want to be able to communicate with the people there, as well as share God's truth where it's needed most.

I've been given a gift of time: four months, to devote to learning Spanish, and what better way than to learn it in a country where it is their native tongue! Costa Rica!

I will be attending the Spanish Language Institute in San Jose, Costa Rica for four months, attending the institute for classes and living with a Costa Rican family.

I would greatly appreciate your prayer along this next adventure!
Hasta luego y muchos bendiciones!

No comments: