About Me

My photo
This blog chronicles my adventures since my junior year of college to..everywhere. Primarily it consists of life experiences and God stories in Honduras, Costa Rica, and Panama. Enjoy and God bless!

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Aire y Agua

(Air and Water)

May 7th
We were in the middle of our after school work-out, when another teacher walked by and delivered the news: There was no school tomorrow! and the next day and the next! Panama's Ministry of Education had closed all schools from Wednesday-Friday to help save electricity and energy in the country.

I felt several emotions all at once:
  • Torn: Because we had finally gotten clicking along in the pace of school again (after a long Labor Day weekend) and needed to push on to the end of the year. How was I going to make everything fit?
  • Confused: Because why would closing schools be the best reaction to an energy crisis. Also how would our back up plan of giving out assignments online work when students were without electricity and therefore without internet?
  • Celebratory: Because what teacher doesn't enjoy three unexpected days off?!
Prone to leap into the car and drive off on a new adventure when given the opportunity, I flipped through different trip options in my mind. However, having planned a normal week, including babysitting and other commitments, I decided it best that I stick around town.

The days off were wonderful in: a) getting lots of needed/procrastinated work accomplished (no excuses!), b) spending quality time with people, c) reading/relaxing, and finally having time to get my driver's license paperwork started!

Then, all too suddenly, Monday back at school arrived. But it was a school day like no other.
1. Students/teachers could wear shorts.
2. We taught with our classroom lights off (although our projector/technology was okay-just limited) 3. There was no A/C. Add a couple fans to the growing murmur of 22 seventh graders as they're trying to catch their fly-away papers and you get the picture of my class on Monday morning.

That said, we prayed and PRAYED for rain, for the energy crisis to be relieved, and for good attitudes for us all (teachers included).

Tuesday came and still no rain. We had a few extra hours with the A/C, but rooms were still stifling and this had a comatose effect on my 8th graders. My 6th graders had to persevere through it in their Rome/Greek outfits as they presented their Ancient Greece/Rome museum to the CCA student body and their parents. I couldn't have been prouder; what troopers!

Wednesday-There had been some slight showers, but not enough to fill up the reservoirs near Chiriqui where the rain was really needed. At least it was a positive sign.
We taught with lights off but had more time with A/C; or at least the school got very creative with how they conserved our use of it. This crisis is almost a laughing matter, except that we're waiting each day from news from MEDUCA about what our school needs to do next and that we are at their beck and call.

Thursday--I play a very mean joke on my 7th graders involving the water crisis; all meant to teach a very important history lesson! They'll never forget it!

Friday--I explain the purpose of the "teacher prank," and my 7th graders gradually forgive me as they start to realize all the connections their experience had to the start of the Protestant Reformation.
More rain! More A/C! We're all still in shorts.

Saturday-Sunday: We are still conserving electricity and air but it is raining more and more frequently, and we all pray that Rainy Season is finally upon us. We are so glad not to be at school; ice cream is served after the evening church service.

5/20 Monday: I bring Popsicles to my lunch Bible Study group (Roots) as a cool treat. A/C is on and things seem almost back to normal! We decide to press on to the end of the school year and pray for no further interruptions or crises!!

Update: 5/27 School mandates that students return to regular uniform dress. Crisis is averted, and it is pouring rain at least twice a day now. Praise the Lord!

One student carried a stand-up fan with him to every class during the days with limited A/C.
 I told him it was an honor to meet his "biggest fan." 

No comments: