About Me

My photo
This blog chronicles my adventures since my junior year of college to..everywhere. Primarily it consists of life experiences and God stories in Honduras, Costa Rica, and Panama. Enjoy and God bless!

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Manejando en Panama (Driving In Panama)

-->
For those who don’t live in Panama, here’s a snapshot of driving here:


My Panamanian friend and I were scheduled to meet at 4p at Multiplaza Mall. Normally, this would only take 15-20 minutes to get there from Clayton. Tonight, it took about an hour and a half.

Leaving the apartment, I thought to myself, “It’s Sunday. The Cinta Costera will be calm, and we’ll be able to zip through, up the ramp to Via Israel and directly into the Multiplaza Mall parking lot.” The decisions you make about which direction to go determines your fate when it comes to traffic in Panama.

Unbeknownst to me, the city had actually completely shut off the Cinta Costera for an event. I found myself about to enter a line of traffic which did not seem to be moving, so I zipped out of there, thinking, okay, we’ll cut through to Casco Viejo and then find our way.

Casco Viejo was equally jammed with cars; people also looking for a cut-through. We wound our way through the narrow streets and admired the French-style buildings, passing the Presidential Palace and ruins of the city center.
Casco Viejo ruins

We finally emerged from the traffic jam, only to learn that the way we wanted to go was blocked as well. In fact, we learned, the entire stretch of the Cinta Costera had been blocked off. Ugh. There goes plan B. We talked with the police woman there, who very patiently explained to us that we just needed to follow Avenida B, until it turned into Avenida Central, then Via Espana, then turn onto Via Brasil, and that would lead us to the mall.

Cinta Costera/Avenida Balboa aerial view

Following a train of cars, we executed plan C. I recognized generally where we were, and that we were paralleling the Cinta Costera (turning onto Av. Mexico), but where was it that I needed to turn next? We ended up going in a square several times, where I kept missing Calle 50, and frustratingly ending up in the traffic jam once again. I called my Panamanian friend to explain the situation, and she tried to help us find an alternative route.

My friend was extremely gracious, and told me she didn’t mind waiting; she’d get some shopping done while she was at the mall. Whew! I felt awful about having her wait around, but now, we could really focus on finding a way out of this mess.

Praying the entire time, we drove down Calle 50. I racked my brain to remember clearly. I’m pretty sure this connects to the mall; please Lord Jesus, direct us. I had maps in the car, just in case, but this had already been an ordeal. It should have been only a 20 min trip max.

Praise the Lord! We came to a familiar round-a-bout (sidenote: most drivers here don’t know how to yield or stay in their lane), and I was able to navigate us safely to the Multiplaza parking lot and finally reunite with my friend.
Not to mention that, later, our car battery died, because in the frenzy, I had left the car lights on. Or that we almost got lost in the mall AFTER paying the parking fee. God provided a nice gentleman and his elderly grandmother to help jump the car, as well as a kind security guard on a bicycle to fix our ticket stub so it wouldn’t expire. AND..Avenida Balboa (the Cinta going the other way) was OPEN on the way home, so we made it safely back to the apartment in 20 minutes without any hassle. PTL!!

All this goes to say that:
1) Prayer for driving/traffic/etc. in Panama is MUCH appreciated.
2) Knowing alternative routes and back roads is a good idea.
3) Patience and wisdom go hand-in-hand.

When we got home, my roommate and I just had to laugh at how stressful/crazy that whole situation had been, and how, by the grace of God, we made it home in one piece. She joked with me: “Well, thanks for the extensive tour of Panama City!”

And that it was.

A verse for driving in Panama (uphold me and direct me, Lord):

Isaiah 41:10
So do not fear for I am with you. Do not be dismayed for I am the Lord your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”



No comments: