About Me

My photo
This blog chronicles my adventures since my junior year of college to..everywhere. Primarily it consists of life experiences and God stories in Honduras, Costa Rica, and Panama. Enjoy and God bless!

Friday, April 10, 2015

Rest at Rock River

Thursday, April 9th, 2015



 Today was full and glorious! I had an unforgettable time with friends exploring God’s creation, and then capped this with a hilarious community dinner/game time in the evening.

The Deal of a Lifetime

I subscribe to a local website that offers incredible deals on businesses and services in Panama. Just a few weeks ago, we scored a canopy and river tubing tour in Colon for under half the original price! We were pumped and waited for the opportunity to use this oferta. When we learned that schools all throughout Panama City would be closed on Thursday and Friday because of the Summit of the Americas, we knew we had found the perfect date to go on this adventure!

Providentially, we left Panama around 9:45a and arrived at the Panama Adventures tour headquarters in just a little under an hour and a half. That's pretty incredible timing when you think of crossing the isthmus from Pacific to Atlantic/Caribbean oceans. Along the drive, it was pouring rain, which is completely uncharacteristic of the sunny dry season we’ve been having. I prayed the rain would stop as I weaved my way through the road blocks along the highway. The road blocks were all red and white striped, and I joked that we were passing through the candy cane forest (“Elf” connection anyone?). Taking the Sabanitas exit, we turned right at the Rey on the main road and took another right, headed along the same road to Portobelo. With the rain and some confusing website directions, we got a little turned around, but eventually saw the landmark beach "Maria Chiquita," and, a little while further on our right,  the sign for "Panama Adventures."

Jungle Chicken

The “road” turn-off to reach Panama Adventures was not really a road at all, but rather a very rocky path full of potholes and puddles. We slowly bumped along, and I hummed the “Indiana Jones” theme song. If only I had four-wheel drive. We passed occasional houses with horses walking freely about, and people sitting on the front porch watching as these strangers drove by. Brennan pointed out the “jungle chicken,” and, knowing his scientific knowledge of birds, I slowed the car further to look around for this special chicken. The others in the car started laughing, and I realized I was looking at a regular chicken, just one that happened to roam the jungle! Hilarious!

A taxi going the opposite direction pointed us toward the correct fork in the “road,” and after a series of hill-climbing and pothole-dodging feats, we pulled into a flat, grassy area with a bohio and one man sitting with a stack of forms. I breathed a prayer of thanks—we had made it safely without popping a tire and, not only that, but the clouds had parted and the sun shone right through. Also, because of the “candy cane forest” detour and getting gas along the way, we had been running late, so we had felt the pressure to get there quickly. However, when we arrived, we were told to wait for 45 minutes for the next tour. Whew! We wouldn’t miss the tour at all.

The Tour Begins

Fortunately this 45 minutes actually turned into 10 minutes as the guide walked us around the premise, showing us the hiking trail, the river where we’d use the inner tubes, and where the surprisingly nice bathrooms were. We “signed our lives away” on the liability forms, and then headed up the super steep road to the zipline area.

Because Becca and Renee aren’t proficient in Spanish yet, Brennan translated the life-saving instructions of the guide, as he showed us how to sit properly in the zipline harness and, most importantly, how to brake. For me, this was my third time ziplining, and, after overcoming the initial fear of the unfamiliar, I've loved the pseudo-flying experience every time. For Brennan, Becca, and Renee, it was their first time! But we were all giddy with adrenaline and ready to go.

We waited anxiously at the bottom of the platform steps watching as, one by one, each person launched out onto the course. Everyone went until it was just Renee and me waiting for our turn.

Then, out of nowhere, a swarm of large blue hornets surrounded Renee and me. I swatted them off, and the hornets came back with a vengeance. We ran away from this area, but some had gotten trapped in Renee’s helmet, and they stung her on her cheek and shoulder. We were pretty shaken.

Renee was up next to go on the zipline. The guide made sure she was okay and not allergic after this completely unexpected, painful incident, but this definitely affected our perspective of the first few zipline runs, and I can't even imagine what thoughts were going on in Renee's mind as she held her throbbing cheek in one hand and gripped the zipline cord in the other. Standing a little distance away (far from the hornets), I prayed for healing and peace. 


On Top of the World

On about the 4th or 5th run across, we started to laugh and enjoy the canopy experience again, trying to block out the freaky hornet attack from earlier. We stood reunited on a platform lodged into a giant tree overlooking the forest around us. Yellow-orange flowers dotted the tops of the branches, and we could see the peaks of some of the nearby mountains. Having the assurance of my caribiner and trusting the guides completely, I had no fear. Yet, I could still sense some anxiety in the group brewing just below the surface. The group was on a high alert and, a few of us, were extra jumpy around the large bugs climbing the very tree trunks we were hooked onto for safety. Rest would not come so easily.

In contrast, the guides had done the zipline course hundreds of times, so when they went across, they seemed completely carefree, pulling all sorts of daring stunts, like going upside down and spinning at the same time. Becca was courageous enough to try going upside down, while I learned how to let go of the rope awhile and see the jungle from a different angle. The experienced guides captured some amazing photos and video of our expressions while sliding across the canopy cables.

River Tubing 

After this adventure, a family who ziplined with us offered Renee some afterbite cream, and we all had some time to rest and let our stomachs settle. Then, two of our guides (Jose and Olmedo) told us to grab an inner tube and head down to the river. Rio Piedra (Rock River) has a very calm current with small sections of rapids and sandy banks that are easily accessible. We floated along, lettting the current carry us, admiring the unique trees of the jungle all around. Our guide, Jose, even pointed out a gorgeous red flower that only blooms during the month of April (el flor de crucero).

The water was still and quiet, and, lying back in my inner tube, I contemplated the part of Psalm 23 where this promise is found: He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul." (vs. 2-3a). 

In fact the only time we had to strain at all, was when going over the tiny rapids. We had to remember to prop our bodies higher in the tube, because it was dry season, and these were very shallow parts with lots of rocks. After one of these more turbulent sections, we floated into a much deeper part of the river. I closed my eyes a minute, taking in the serenity of the moment. I again prayed "peace" over the day and tried to let go of my own agenda and fully trust Him.

Rope Swing

My thoughts were interrupted by an exciting observation. “Look!” Renee tapped my inner tube, and motioned to a nearby hill where there was a long rope hanging from the trees with a wooden handle bar. All of us looked at each other with wide eyes of anticipation. The guide calmly explained that we would beach our tubes here, and people who wanted to, could climb up the side and use the rope to swing into the river. Everybody ended up doing it, even the two elementary kids who were also on our tour. Thankful for encouraging friends and the adrenaline still coursing through my veins from the zipline adventure, I followed them up the hill, excited for this new experience.

Brennan went before me and easily swung out over the river and dropped down naturally into its depths. My turn was next. The view was different from up here, and reality hit me. I was about to do this. I whispered a prayer as I saw the rope hurtle back towards me. "I need Your peace, Jesus." In the midst of turmoil, in the midst of our weakness, Jesus makes Himself the most apparent. He holds us in His strong arms.

“Okay guys, I need a 1-2-3, if I’m going to do this.”
I grabbed a hold of the wooden handle, leaned back, and on “3,” tucked my legs up and swung. I cleared the rocks and now the river was far below me. “Let go! Let go!” the group yelled from the side. The pendulum swing had reached its furthest extent.

I pried my fingers lose and began to fall. I closed my eyes, screamed, then remembered to close my mouth so I wouldn’t swallow water. Splash! The impact was smoother than expected, and using the buoyancy of my Keens I pushed myself to the surface, whooping and cheering and laughing all at the same time. What thrilling fun that was; how abundantly joyful I felt, bursting to the surface with a newfound glow in my cheeks. 

The peace I felt in that moment overwhelmed me. I floated on my back and looked back at the rope swing. This "swinging into action," this exertion of energy to triumph over a fear and take the leap was somewhat exhausting, yet energizing at the same time. My body felt recharged, capable of much more than I had thought it was moments ago. I felt stronger, not because of my ability to jump, but, because I knew that it was only through Jesus' power and strength helping me conquer my fears that allowed me to take the step off the ledge and later let go of the rope. 

The Return

I ended up doing the rope swing three times, along with the others, and then we spent time relaxing and swimming around the river, talking with the guides about nearby sites and what life was like if you made your home on its banks. 

Eventually, the conversation found it's natural lull, and we all came to sit on the water’s edge. “Es tiempo de regresar,” Jose said, picking up his inner tube and wanting us to follow his lead. I had the feeling that I never wanted to leave that calm, clear river pool; for there, I had felt overwhelming delight and profound peace. Shouldering our inner tubes, we reluctantly trudged back to the main bohio area. This time, we took a shorter route, through the jungle. With quiet, gentle steps, we took in the sights, avoided crushing the leaf cutter ants on their determined trail, and contemplated all we had done in the past three hours.

After thanking our guides, I had a minute to sit and process in the car before we continued our drive out to Portobelo to see the ruins of old Spanish forts. God had given me some edge-of-your-seat thrilling experiences this week, followed by times of deep relaxation and appreciation of His creation. After working hard, whether through physical or mental exertion, these times of rest seemed much sweeter, much deeper. 

R & R

To relax implies trust that God will do what He says He’ll do, that He is in control and is the Master Provider. Relax literally means “to become less firm;” and, in the same way, God is shaping our lives as we give more control over to Him and rest in His promises. In return, He fills us with his peace and gives us a larger picture of His sovereignty. We can come to Him and surrender our worries, recuperate, and find renewal in the assurance of our true purpose and identity.

After arriving home safely to Clayton, I couldn't get the picture of ultimate rest out of my mind. I began to look up Scripture and came across a Biblical commentary website that mentioned an old hymn. The hymn not only speaks perfectly about rest, but also uses the metaphor of a river!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnIcKms_IUY “Like a River Glorious”
Read the story behind the hymn here.

Some Scripture for your journey:

Matthew 11:28-30
28 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 
30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."


Psalm 23
1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. 
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, 
3 he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 
4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 
5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 
6 Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

Psalm 91:1
Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
    will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.






No comments: