About Me

My photo
This blog chronicles my adventures since my junior year of college to..everywhere. Primarily it consists of life experiences and God stories in Honduras, Costa Rica, and Panama. Enjoy and God bless!

Sunday, April 20, 2014

8th Graders


This was my first ever “7th grade” class, but I met some students in this group while they were just 3rd graders during my visit to CCA in spring 2008. I showed them THIS picture, and they were incredulous. 
“You photoshopped yourself in.”
 “How did you get that picture?”

 I joked with them in return, “Well, it turns out you’ve been in my heart for four years.”

I’ve learned a lot from this bunch:
1. Find out what your students love (which happened for them to be music, rap, acting and video games) and use it to teach. For this class, it took the form of me rewriting lyrics to popular songs to be about science and social studies topics. I saw the class light up, and we sang along with the familiar melodies. Some of my favorite moments!
2. Partner work in 7th grade will always cause drama, unless the partners are randomly assigned
3. Listen well and make sure discipline is done in private/after class
4. Learn to laugh and it will automatically lift the mood
5. Storytelling is a powerful tool (thanks to Jim Almack for this one)
6. Model kindness and respect
7. Use those teachable moments and be honest with each other

This year, I’ve had the chance to teach this intelligent group again; this time for U.S. History. It’s a less interactive curriculum, and we’ve had to fly through due to the amount of content. Yet, the students’ ability to debate and analyze history continue to spur me on to finding ways to make these decades come alive to them. (You should hear my WWI song.) In return, I’ve seen these students shine this year with creative project presentations and seen them mature and start to become confident leaders in the middle school.

I continue to pray daily for them, especially for the ones who don’t know Christ or are wrestling with whether or not to commit to following Him. I see incredible potential in all of them and know they will go on to do great things.


 Back in 7th grade: Hipster vs. Hobo day

7th grade: World History skit

I have yet to take a picture that captures the essence of these students as 8th graders..coming soon!

No comments: