About Me

My photo
This blog chronicles my adventures since my junior year of college to..everywhere. Primarily it consists of life experiences and God stories in Honduras, Costa Rica, and Panama. Enjoy and God bless!

Sunday, April 20, 2014

I'm Staying


Why: 56 reasons (see earlier posts)

 
This is the long-awaited response to the question: “Will you be in Panama next year?” Granted, people in this community tend to ask this question regularly and repeatedly since a month into school starting. Mentally, they’re calculating: How much will this teacher invest in this community? And unconsciously asking: How much should I invest in him/her? 

With this weekly barrage of questions, I began to contemplate my response long before our letters of intent were actually due. I began my planning early, saying I wanted to fulfill my 2 year contract for sure. And it would be a gift and privilege if I could stay at least 3 years to see my original class of 6th graders through their 8th grade graduation.

To be honest, my first year here was tough, wrought with transitions and learning experiences. I transitioned to living in a new country, working in a new school and living/teaching community and learned to juggle 4 classes with the role of being middle school coordinator with only 1 year of classroom teaching under my belt. It was one of those—world shaking, run it out, and pray each morning—sort of years. The kind of year you just want to step away from, just to breathe and get perspective.

Still, I had learned a valuable experience from my Honduras days and knew that these “breathers,” friend time, exercise and flute playing (a.k.a. stress relief), and not staying at school past 5pm everyday were essential to my well-being as a person and a teacher. So I readily went on the Pilliod family adventures in Lil Mule (their truck), joined others in cherished day trips to the beach, and went out for dinner with other teachers on weekend nights. I joined Jimmy’s intense workout class after school (at least when I didn’t have parent-coordinator meetings), and I regularly scheduled coffee dates with good friends to contemplate, discuss and help me sort out life decisions.


A huge shift happened my first year during second semester as God miraculously provided a car and reminded me that He is truly in charge of all of the details! Additionally, one of the other teachers graciously agreed to take over my 7th grade Earth Science class, which lightened my workload considerably and gave me the chance to focus on teaching social studies, which has become my passion.

Around January 2013, I committed to being more intentional with my time, and God laid it on my heart to make the theme of “digging deeper” a reality in the CCA middle school. I started “Roots,” a Monday lunchtime bible study only open to middle schoolers. I provided free dessert as an incentive and left the results up to God.

Five students showed up that first Monday, and we started reading through the gospels together, examining how Jesus lived. God knew I needed that encouragement, and this Roots study group, along with joining Danae in teaching the K5 Sunday school class at church became highlights of the week for me.

Near the end of the 4th quarter, I started attending the church youth group, called Crossfire. All Esther could do was rave about the students, and she was dead on. I was even more encouraged by seeing those faithful MS and HSers “giving up” their Wednesday nights to worship God. That spiritual devotion is what I prayed for multiple times while walking the middle school hallways during planning periods, and, here at Crossfire, I was seeing just a glimpse of this transformation in students lives. So cool! Not only that, but the worship and sermon were like that refreshing drink in the desert that I had been longing for my first year—a chance to be poured into as well as pour out.

During the farewell night planned to thank their youth pastor, TJ, for his work in Crossfire (but really to glorify God for His work in Panama), I heard student after student share about how God had used Crossfire and the leaders to mold their hearts and teach them more about Christ and living for Him. As we took a tearful group shot, I resolved that I wanted to “be there” for these students. I wanted to be a part of this amazing discipleship process and watch them become mature Christians. Becoming a small group leader in Crossfire was the next step.

*************************************************************************

  Year two has been a year of blessing:
1) I stepped down from the coordinator role, and now just teach which I absolutely love. I may have my Masters and the look of authority (or maybe just a big mouth), but I’ve had my taste of administration and I’ll say give me a classroom any day!

Providentially, the P.E. teacher/coach took on this role, which has been an incredible blessing to both of us. He, not only has many years of teaching, has developed a solid repertoire with the students and parents, and has been at the school 5+ years, but also he is in the last year of his administrative credential program. The timing couldn’t have been more perfect!

2) The car, fondly nicknamed “U-ey”
I’ve had the chance to explore the city and several provinces of Panama, as well as bless many people who’ve needed rides. I’m thankful for other teachers who help me navigate the unexpected one-way streets and help us somehow arrive at our destination. Every time I put the key in the ignition of the car, I remember how God provides exactly what we need when we need it. He knows what’s ahead and what I can handle, so I can trust Him.

3) I teach 5 classes this year, but it’s still less work than last year. So I find I have MORE time to spare. This had led to several chances to invest in the community here as well as “be there” for the students/families of the school:

-church orchestra
-teaching K5 Sunday school
-taking each of my small group girls to coffee
-Jimmy’s workout session every T and Th and running with friends
-hosting friends and visitors and playing “tour guide”
-my family getting to visit over Christmas!
-leading small groups for Crossfire youth group, Roots--the lunchtime bible study continues (there are 15+ students now!), and a chapel small group (based on the book: The Me I Want to Be, by John Ortberg)
-babysitting for neighbors
-going on more day trip and weekend adventures
-more time to relax, share laughable moments, and be present with people

Currently, I’m mentoring a student teacher in my 6th-7th English classes, so that’s been a refreshing change as well as an interesting shift in perspective. (Almost like free professional development. J)

Beyond my 3rd year, I do not know how long I will “be here” in Panama, at CCA, but I do know that I want my time to count. I want my relationships to be meaningful, and the students to know deep down that I care. I want to continue to discover adventure and learn some more Spanish along the way. I want to learn more about God, His hand in History and in our lives, and I hope that, in seeing this bigger picture, both my students and I will leave changed.

In the words of one of my heroines, Henrietta Mears, “I know not the way He leads me, but well do I know my Guide.”

I would love your prayers!!

Prayer requests for the end of the year/next year. We only have 9 weeks of school left in the quarter!:

·      Two teachers here and close friends of mine, Mami and Danae, are going to serve in Guinea, West Africa, teaching missionary kids so the parents can translate the Bible and share the gospel with an unreached people group. There have been many obstacles in their way. One being the crazy Ebola virus that is spreading throughout Guinea and two being support raising. If you are at all compelled to give support to God’s work in reaching the Johango people of Guinea, click the link here. Select designated fund and in the notes write: "Mami Hashizaki and Danae Gillespie."

  • The new teachers who are coming (all the preparations that come with making the transition) and the ones who are leaving
  • The 5th graders who are moving up to middle school in the fall
  • Discernment in how to be intentional and “there” for people in this community next year
  • Safety in driving/navigating the city and that U-ey holds out for the rest of the time I’m supposed to be in Panama
  • Mas oportunidades para practicar y aprender el espanol

How can I be praying for you? Send me a message via facebook or email: ldiaz@ccapanama.org

God bless,
Laura

No comments: