About Me

My photo
This blog chronicles my adventures since my junior year of college to..everywhere. Primarily it consists of life experiences and God stories in Honduras, Costa Rica, and Panama. Enjoy and God bless!

Saturday, April 1, 2017

Last Days

written june 2016
I've had this class of students for 4 years in a row
the graduating 8th grade class--3 years in my class for both History and English

Eleven faces stared at me in shock as I read them the letter. It was my smallest section of World History, the first class to hear my letter of resignation.

As I read, I thought about this class, how we had formed a tight bond through inside jokes and shared experiences like Karoake on Field Day or reenactments of legalism or the French Revolution. I thought about how I had seen them grow from unsure 6th graders into passionate 7th graders with a more defined perspective on the world and the relentless drive to make a change. I reflected over our conversations and how they challenged me with explaining the "why" and the mystery of God's sovereign plan throughout history.
The triplets, leaving for Mexico next year
Sweet 8th grade girls





















Whether it was daily petitions or praying over the current chaos in the world, they would remind me that God redeems even in the darkest circumstances and is working even when we cannot understand. They reminded me to have faith in a God who is all powerful, doesn't fail, and loves us with an everlasting love.

I loved the students' energy, creative jokes, and how they donned a scarf from my costume box and "became" that historical figure. I loved the way they surprised me one day after a lecture on respect, by serving one another and passing out textbooks, without any prompting.



I loved my crew of student helpers, who worked hard to ensure a clean and organized classroom. And I loved my small group of girls who sacrificed their lunch hour every Monday to meet with me to read and discuss the book of Proverbs. I loved the gentlemen in our chapel small group study that asked honest questions about their faith and spurred one another on to seek Jesus.
6th grade pool party











The students would never know how their hugs or compliments at the door refreshed me or encouraged me before starting class. How their honest inquiry of "How are you, Miss Diaz?" showed me that I could be more than a teacher to them, that they truly cared for me as I did for them.

When my former students came to visit me this year, "just to talk," it was one of those experiences I had looked forward to most and cherished their trust. Some of these students joined my Debate Team or Technology Showcase this year, and I've never felt prouder than when I watched them eloquently present or strategically negotiate for global peace.


As a teacher, mentor, and small group leader, I have walked with this group of secondary students for four full and incredible years at Crossroads Christian Academy. I will forever be grateful to the parents, students, and faculty that taught me more than I could ever teach them.

Now it is time for us to walk in separate directions. Time to discover what God has next and learn to trust him in a whole new way.

****************

God's leading is clear, and, although this step is difficult, I am walking in trust and obedience. I am incredibly grateful for his abundant provision for the coming year! An answer to many months of prayer!

Next year, I will be staying in Panama, but transitioning to teach at a different international school in the fall. I will receive a new group of students, High Schoolers this time, to inspire and pour into. My prayer is to be a light in that school, that God would readily prepare me for conversations about faith and plant questions in the students' hearts as we examine world history together.

Saying goodbye to Room 7

Continue to hold me in your prayers in this new school setting. Hold my future husband in your prayers as he supports me in this job transition and that the Lord continues to lead and direct us both. Pray, as we begin the adventure of marriage in December, that the Lord reveals specific ministry opportunities and unveils how we can best serve Him together.





No comments: