About Me

My photo
This blog chronicles my adventures since my junior year of college to..everywhere. Primarily it consists of life experiences and God stories in Honduras, Costa Rica, and Panama. Enjoy and God bless!

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

First Impressions


Tegucigalpa, Honduras is even more than I imagined!
-Gorgeous green rolling hills dotted with homes, even a Jesus statue greeting us with open arms as we flew in..
-Bienvenidos. The warm welcome was evident from the warm brazos (hugs) and smiles exchanged at the airport between the IST chaplain, guidance counselor, and kindergarten teacher (also a friend from Westmont).

Staring out the window wide-eyed, I tried to soak in the unfamiliar surroundings that will become my home next year. One-story houses with multicolored doors and neighborhood shops with large advertisements for the products inside lines the streets. Men sold Honduran soccer jerseys (they qualified for the World Cup!!) on the side of the road or lingered in doorways, while women and children carried groceries home for the day.

With only a few clouds in the sky and a cool breeze, it looked to be a fantastic day at 3500 feet.
The chaplain drove us straight to the school. Passing out of la colonias (the neighborhoods), we followed the nicely paved road up the hill.

IST is located on a plateau with warehouses and dry, rocky areas surrounding its base. The school has a green roof and a fence around it and looks imposing from a distance. I bit my lip--this is where I'm going to teach?

We pulled into the gravel parking lot and got out. I could see kids in the school's blue and white uniforms, and my heart leapt for joy. This was their school, our school.

The chaplain and counselor led the way, greeting everyone ("Hola!") as we passed. As we continued across the sloped campus, I noticed green all around me: palm trees, lush bushes, flowering trees, and lots of grassy areas. It looked more like a park, then a school--in fact, an oasis of sorts. The school buildings looked well-maintained, and benches had the name of the school mascot, "Tigers," inscribed into them.

The school is composed of 2 main buildings (elementary & middle/high school) and many smaller buildings which house: preK, K, computer lab, library, doctor's office, daycare center, teacher's lounges, cafeteria, snack shop, offices of everyone, and more classrooms.

I also noticed there were purified water dispensers in every hallway (so thankful), macaws and other colorful birds in the courtyard, and Prometheus (smart) boards in every classroom 4th-12th grade.

Meeting the teachers/staff was so encouraging, especially meeting the other 4th grade teacher who will be there next year. It was the last day of school, and teachers were clearing out their classrooms, which was perfect timing for me to meet all of them. Also, the principal was very approachable and supportive, even walking with us for much of the tour. This is truly a gift, because this week is crazy at IST with graduations, teachers' farewell party, etc.

After our grand tour, meeting anyone and everyone in the school, : ) the school chaplain treated my mom and I to a delicious lunch of gallo pintado (rice & beans), patacones (cooked plantains), pollo (chicken), tortillas, y Fanta naranja.

post continued in: 3rd World Country


No comments: