About Me

My photo
This blog chronicles my adventures since my junior year of college to..everywhere. Primarily it consists of life experiences and God stories in Honduras, Costa Rica, and Panama. Enjoy and God bless!

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Fortunately





We had only been in Casa Verde an hour when we found ourselves out on the street in the rain.
Now, I feel I have been truly welcomed to Honduras.

My housemates and I were half-way unpacked, having discovered the items the last teachers had left behind (anyone want a bright purple hat?), when we found ourselves informally congregating around the dining room table. Interrupting our talk, Eduardo beeped his horn and we ran out to get our lunch delivery.

Here's how the story unfolded:

Fortunately, my housemates and I had lunch.
Unfortunately, our house door slammed shut and locked behind us.
Fortunately, I had snatched my keys off the dining room table before we ran outside.
Unfortunately, we spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to use them.
Fortunately, we had time to kill and were able to be flexible.
Unfortunately, storm clouds were rolling in.
Fortunately, we knew where the other teachers lived and they were welcoming to us and let us use their internet.
Unfortunately, they didn't know how to open our door either.
Fortunately, they had a cell phone where we could reach the new teacher coordinator.
Unfortunately, we saw lightning and felt the first drops of a rainstorm.
Fortunately, the neighbor across the street wanted to welcome us with homemade "enchiladas" (similar to tostadas), which were a delicious and pleasant surprise.
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to express as much gratitude as I felt.
Fortunately, it was pouring rain while we met neighbors, enjoyed Honduran enchiladas, and I learned the first lesson in being flexible and making the most of the given moment.

(Oh and if you're wondering: After much needed coaching and various trial/error sequences, we were, in the end, successful in unlocking the door of our house. It will be an adjustment, but, in my mind, that's all part of the adventure.)

No comments: