About Me

My photo
This blog chronicles my adventures since my junior year of college to..everywhere. Primarily it consists of life experiences and God stories in Honduras, Costa Rica, and Panama. Enjoy and God bless!

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Dr. Diaz

One of my teacher friends just got her first pair of contacts down here in Honduras.

When, I heard that the eye exam and eye-ware were cheaper in Honduras than the States, I thought, “It’s my last 2 weeks here, so why not?”

So yesterday, after school, she and I paid a visit to the mall’s resident eye doctor. We had to wait 20 minutes for the doctor to be available, but there was no appointment necessary. Plus, we enjoyed the time comparing prices and trying on different pairs of glasses.

Just as I found the perfect pair, the doctor came out and invited us in. My friend sat by to help translate. Fortunately, I could say the letters/numbers on the screen in English. Turns out, I needed to have taken my contacts out a half hour before the appointment, so I had to say “hasta luego.” Perfect time to hit up the Espresso Americano.

When he returned, he asked me a series of questions, like where am I from, what am I doing here, etc. He scratched his chin: “Oh..you’re Norte Americana.”

Exactamundo. I thought.

He continued. “Mi appellido es Diaz tambien. Pero soy de Espana”

Wait..did he just say his last name is Diaz, too?

We had a good laugh about this commonality, and I have to say gracias to Dr. Diaz for bearing with my Spanish and for the new prescription!

No comments: