About Me

My photo
This blog chronicles my adventures since my junior year of college to..everywhere. Primarily it consists of life experiences and God stories in Honduras, Costa Rica, and Panama. Enjoy and God bless!

Friday, June 10, 2011

The Last Day of 4-B






"Why does school have to end?" were the surprising words out of student's mouth as we wrapped up the school year today.


We had a marvelous day:
-Students acted out a devotional on Solomon asking for wisdom from God; memorized the class verse.(Jer 33:3)
-Class wrote letters to future selves (5th grade)
-Created T-shirt memories, signed t-shirts and a tiger stamp

-Class Awards (funny, because, in the description, everyone knew who the award would go to)

Then, Ms. Castro (my assistant) sat the whole class down in a circle, and called each one up to a chair across from her to share special memories or individual thank-you's with them.
She was spot on with the affirmations of their character and helped to give them a vision and hope for the future. She started getting teary, then the students did, even my toughest boys, then I couldn't help it. For all the crazy times we had together, there will never be a class quite like 4-B. They taught me and stretched me, and I will miss them next year.

Following this, the students presented a hip-hop dance routine, which they had prepared to thank Ms. Castro. It was phenomenal and hilarious. (Videos to come.)
And we showed her a video we had made about what she had meant to us..finishing with the class singing the song, "I've had the time of my life."
It was bittersweet to watch them go.

But then, we joined the P.E. teacher in a class prayer and split up into teams for kickball--my class's favorite sport to play all together! At the end, we came together for a class cheer: 1-2-3...4-B!!
I know they will make fantastic 5th graders next year and am excited for whoever their teacher might be!

As we were stacking up chairs afterwards, a student asked me, "Why does today have to be sad?"

I didn't know quite how to explain it, but I offered: "Because it is the end of something wonderful and the beginning of something new."

God bless 4-B.

No comments: