About Me

My photo
This blog chronicles my adventures since my junior year of college to..everywhere. Primarily it consists of life experiences and God stories in Honduras, Costa Rica, and Panama. Enjoy and God bless!

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Estímulo

Encouragement.

Recently, I borrowed a book from the institute library entitled, First Flight: Thoughts for Fledgling Missionaries (Aulden Coble). It was written by the previous director of the institute where I'm studying Spanish. Little did I know how applicable Coble's words and specific scripture verses he cites would be to my life here in Costa Rica.

Here are just a few words I took away:

In God's commission to Moses (Exodus 4:10-12):
10 Moses said to the LORD, “Pardon your servant, Lord. I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue.” 11 The LORD said to him, “Who gave human beings their mouths? Who makes them deaf or mute? Who gives them sight or makes them blind? Is it not I, the LORD? 12 Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say.”

This is exactly how I feel at this moment, like I'm stepping back in time to learn to speak again, to experiment until I get the correct sounds and movements of the tongue to produce the necessary words. Slow of speech and tongue. But we can be mightily encouraged, for when God calls, He provides what we need. He made our mouths and gives us the ability to communicate through language. Why then should we feel incompetent or that language learning is an impossibility? Have patience, for God has called and will provide the words we need.

"The fastest way to learn a language is to speak it." (Dr. Milton Cowan/many past ILE students)
"Three variables are involved: aptitude, motivation, and opportunity." (Coble 14)

My favorite chapter in Coble's book was entitled, "Why Are You Here?" (Eph. 3:7-9)

Coble quotes one linguist saying, "motivation to learn a new language arises from a deep-seated eagerness to join a new community." I loved this challenge to reflect, "Why am I here?": Not only to learn Spanish and prepare for living in Panama next year, but to better understand Latin culture, to get to know people and leave changed. My prayer is that these conversations are beautiful exchanges, where we learn and grow from each other and understanding new perspectives on the world. Ultimately, I want to know Spanish in order to build relationships and communicate the deep love of Christ and how He changes lives.

In order to get the most out of the language learning process, we need to follow the Colossians 3:17 rule: "And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
This theme of performing with excellence occurs again in Ecclesiastes 9:10: "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might."

Although, language learning takes energy, dedication, time, perseverance, and a willingness to change old habits: "One thing I do, forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 3:13-14). Even when I feel exhausted from speaking/thinking in Spanish all day or my brain is overloaded with new concepts and grammar rules, I need to remember these verses and not lose heart, remembering the One who has called me is faithful.

"Now to him who by the power at work within us is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, to him be glory in the church, and in Christ Jesus to all generations, for ever and ever, Amen. (Ephesians 3:20-21)

The other unique thing about being in language school is that I am not alone. I have set out on this journey alongside some incredible brothers and sisters in Christ, and we can support and encourage one another along the way. I am incredibly thankful that my classmates have a great sense of humor and an even greater understanding of grace.

Together, we can hold firm to God's truth: "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in your weakness." (2 Cor. 12:9) Thanks to Christ, we can see each grammatical blunder or word mispronunciation as a chance to say, "This isn't of me. I'm doing/learning this for a greater purpose and may God's name be glorified."

As I was sitting in the AMCA devotional/song session tonight, I was really struck by this thought. We were singing, "Knowing you Jesus, knowing you. There is no greater thing."

Ultimately, what I say doesn't matter; when it comes to friendships, love is the primary goal. This is accomplished through the acts of "going," trusting that "God is with my mouth," and letting His light and love show through my words and actions. In fact that's all I can do at this point, and I know God will lead and guide for what comes next.

Philippians 1:27
"Only conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or remain absent, I will hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel"

Coble closes with one of my favorite passages in Scripture, which takes on new meaning as I am in the throws of learning Spanish, especially verse 4.

Psalm 139: 1-5
1 O LORD, You have searched me and known me.
2 You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
You understand my thought from afar.
3 You scrutinize my path and my lying down,
And are intimately acquainted with all my ways.
4 Even before there is a word on my tongue,
Behold, O LORD, You know it all.
5 You have enclosed me behind and before,
And laid Your hand upon me.

*Selected passages, quotes, ideas taken from:
Coble, Aulden C. First Flight: Thoughts for Fledgling Missionaries. Instituto de Lenguage Espanola, San Jose: 1986.

No comments: