About Me

My photo
This blog chronicles my adventures since my junior year of college to..everywhere. Primarily it consists of life experiences and God stories in Honduras, Costa Rica, and Panama. Enjoy and God bless!

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Iglesia de Vecinos


One of the hardest things about leaving Santa Barbara was saying good-bye to Montecito Covenant Church, the church that served as my "family" over the past 5 years. There I was surrounded by a vibrant, intergenerational body of believers that not only preached the Word but lived it with their lives. Opportunities to get involved were endless, and I always felt welcomed. Even after returning from Honduras, walking through MCC's sanctuary doors felt like I was coming "home."

Entonces, arriving in Costa Rica was difficult as I had to alter my expectations for what a church home would look like there. I wanted a church that was 1) was welcoming, 2) not too difficult to reach, 2) had solid Biblical doctrine/preached the Word, 3) put Christ first and foremost, 4) had opportunities to get involved. My first Sunday, God pretty much dropped a church into my lap!


My Tica family are evangelical Christians and very involved in their local church. Iris y Yasmin teach the early morning Sunday school por los ninos, and Geraldo serves as an elder/greeter, etc. When I entered the church with Geraldo for the first time, the pastor immediately greeted me with a big hug and said "Bienvenidos, esta es su casa." (Welcome, this is your house.)


(this is their communion bread--bread balls, how convenient!)

It is a smaller church (less than 100 people), located just around the corner from where I'm living, so not only is it convenient, but it is so easy to get to know people! From what I was able to understand of the sermon (which increases each time I go!), the pastor seems right on point and the prominence is placed on glorifying Christ. The church also stresses a huge emphasis on prayer--I'm not sure I've ever seen a church pray so much! The congregation meets every Tuesday nights for two hours to pray and then dedicates one night a month that is spent entirely in prayer, from 10p-4a or 5a. No wonder God is visibly at work here in Costa Rica.

After a few Sundays of getting to know congregation members and what a typical service was like, I approached the worship pastor to mention that I played the flute, if he ever needed one in the worship band. He smiled and said (in Spanish), "Practice is on Friday."


(From the church, you can see the three crosses!)

Well, that was easy. I showed up Friday night for a slightly disorganized but overall productive two-hour worship practice session. The best part though was figuring out different accompaniments while the guitarists/pianists jammed to the melody of one of the worship songs after practice was over.

Showing up Sunday morning, flute in hand, I noticed four chairs placed in a semicircle at the front of the church. After inquiring, I learned that a Costa Rican music group (mandolin, guitar, keyboard) was going to play that morning. We would play after them. Also, the worship leader told me right before the service that there would be a pause in one of the songs where he wanted me to sing in English. "Por que?? Estoy solo gringa en la iglesia!" (I'm the only gringo-N.American, english speaker, in the church!).

It all worked out, and both music groups were able to glorify God with their talents and gloria a Dios I didn't forget any of the English lyrics! I'm also grateful, because following the church service, I get the chance to debrief with my Tico family over lunch. Geraldo half-jokes that all his prayers during the service are that we'll have fish for lunch! Ha!


(Geraldo, looking very official, in front of the church.)

Joining the worship band on Sunday morning
(notice the worship pastor's youngest son on the tambourine)

No comments: