About Me

My photo
This blog chronicles my adventures since my junior year of college to..everywhere. Primarily it consists of life experiences and God stories in Honduras, Costa Rica, and Panama. Enjoy and God bless!

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Sube!



When my adventurous friend, Megan, told me that there was going to be group hiking up to the Three Crosses on Saturday, I thought, “You’ve got to be kidding me.” I had heard horror stories from people who had gone in months past and found themselves rolling down the mountain. However, I heard 1) we were going a different/easier way down the mountain, 2) Patrick (who has been on the hike at least 7 times) was leading, and 3) it would be perfect weather to go (no mud slides).


So this morning I strapped on my keens and walked over to meet Megan, Patrick, Nathan and Sani at the bus stop. Three buses later, we arrived to our destination and began the long ascent up the street. And we hadn’t even begun the actual hike yet!


That to say, we were a little breathless by the time we reached the trail entrance. We stopped and took “before” pictures and admired the incredible view of the city. As we continued on our way, we realized that the Ticos right behind us were heading the same way. We struck up a conversation with them and learned they were evangelical Christians as well! What a God-send!


As we climbed, we helped each other up and encouraged one another with scripture and singing praise songs. The husband of the group would turn around whenever he saw us resting and offer us hard candy “por energia”. Haha!

When we reached the first cross, I was elated! The view was breathtaking and you could see the entire city of San Jose! I wondered what surprises the next cross would hold.


Hiking to the second cross was a little more challenging, with more rocks you had to step over and twists in the trail. Although it seemed it took longer to reach the first cross. Also along the trail, we saw cows scattered on the hills, and you had to carefully watch your step, not only because of unpredictable holes but also because of the sizable cow droppings hidden amongst the tall grass.


The second cross was at the top of a pyramid-like structure. We listened as the husband of the Tico group recounted a bit of the history. I’ve heard a lot of rumors about the place, but his tale seemed likely. He told us there used to be several quesarias (cheese factories) up on these hills and a pastor of a church in San Jose came up and built the crosses almost as fortresses to protect their property when they were away. (*Disclaimer: Not sure I have all his facts straight; it was all in Spanish.) The cross structure was fun to climb, nonetheless, and again, you could see miles in all directions.


The distance to the third cross was probably the shortest route in our journey, but what I thought was most challenging to summit. For one thing, it was straight up and had steep places you had to use your hands to pull yourself up. Thankfully, the guy in front of me lent me his hand.


All too soon, it was time to descend. In the past, people just hiked directly down the hill, but we took a safer, although much longer route switchbacking down and around the hill, crossing shallow rivers, and avoiding cows along the way. I thoroughly enjoyed


the descent. Everyone was much more relaxed, took time to enjoy the views and we even waded into the ice-cold water running over the rocks above to form miniature waterfalls.


Five hours after we began the hike, the end was in sight. I think I yelled “Civilización!” a little too loud. But I was excited to see houses and the road again. Together, by the strength of God, we had made it!


No comments: