About Me

My photo
This blog chronicles my adventures since my junior year of college to..everywhere. Primarily it consists of life experiences and God stories in Honduras, Costa Rica, and Panama. Enjoy and God bless!

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Grief and Miracles

Two Thursdays ago (9/16), I found out that one of my students' (*Juan) houses had been broken into and his dad had been shot in the head three times, while the mother and sons (10 and 6 years old) watched. The family rushed him to the hospital but had to weave their way around Independence Day parades; the father and mother prayed the entire time. Through this week, I have heard *Juan tell me of some incredible miracles.

Miracle #1: The father survived the initial gun shot wounds.
Miracle #2: They made it to the hospital safely, and the doctors were able to take care of him right away.
Miracle #3: The head neurologist was on duty that night they needed to transfer the father to a different hospital.
Miracle #4: They were able to successfully remove one of the two bullets from his brain.
Miracle #5: His heart was still beating.

Every morning, we have prayed as a class for Juan and his family. Surprisingly, Juan and his brother have been at school every day since the incident. Until today.
The kindergarten teacher came by my classroom early this morning, letting me know that Juan's little brother was not at school today either. We took a minute to silently pray and then went on with our respective classes. Later, the principal pulls me aside and delivers the news: Juan's father went to be with Jesus earlier this morning.
It was hard to hear. Juan had just told me yesterday that they expected his father to be able to come home on Thursday. What he must be feeling right now, I couldn't even imagine.

My class and another 4th grade class made sympathy cards and prayed for comfort for Juan and his family. But to breach a gaping hole in a child's life, is only a job that God can do. Continue to pray that God uses this tragedy for his glory, bringing others to come to know him and strengthening Juan's family in their faith and trust.

Pray especially:
*for comfort and peace for Juan's family
*for wisdom for dealing with finances/transition to a new home and decision making
*that Juan's extended family will come to know Christ through the father's testimony
*Juan/his brother as they return to school and try to carry on with "normal" lives, even though this dramatic event has altered theirs forever.
*for wisdom for me as I minister and speak with Juan and his family

I shared this verse with my students the other day and I continue to pray it every morning:
John 14:27: "Peace I give you. My peace I leave with you. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."

No comments: